Current markers

Harris, John Richardson

Main Image
Year:
Marker Number: 00209
Street: Glendale Cemetery Magnolia Street
City: Harrisburg
Zip Code: 77012
Longitude: 95 16.468
Latitude: 29 43.193
Website:
Phone:
Key Map: 535B
view map

As one of Stephen F. Austin's colonists John Richardson Harris of East Cayuga, New York came to Texas in 1823. In 1824 he obtained a grant of 4425 acres of land from the Mexican government. This land was located at the junction of Bray's and Buffalo Bayous. On a portion of this land he laid out and founded the town of Harrisburg in 1826. This family graveyard is a part of that property. In Harrisburg, on Bray's Bayou, he erected a steam sawmill and opened a general merchandise store. He also owned and operated schooners which plied between Texas ports of entry and New Orleans, Lousiians. He was a descendant of John Harris who founded the city of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. His wife was Jane Birdsall, a descendant of Nathan Birdsall who settled Long Island, New York, in 1657. While at the Port of New Orleans on his schooner "The Rights of Man," John Richardson Harris died of Yellow Fever on August 22, 1829. He was buried in New Orleans. This Cenotaph was erected by his Granddaughter, Adele Briscoe Looscan in memory of John Richardson Harris Founder of Harrisburg, Texas on Buffalo Bayou.  

Note Cenotaph is a monument erected to someone buried
elsewhere; Adele Lubbock Briscoe Looscan, 1848-19

 

 

Copyright 2012 by Harris County Historical Markers | Login